Saturday, February 2, 2013

Day 4: 1/12 First B Day

            Today I had three classes starting at 800 and ending at 1815. Fun, right? My first class of the day is called Myth of the Self, and is about Buddhism and Psychology and the concept of Self in both topics.  It seems very interesting so far but also messes with my head sometimes.  But these are interesting things to get my mind and thoughts lost in, so I think I’ll enjoy it.  The next class I have is my U.S. Immigration Law class.  I am kind of happy I took this class because I don’t really know too much about my own country.  At the same time, I wish I took some sort of class that dealt more with the countries I am going to see and not the one I live in, but there isn’t anything I can do about it now.  The professor for this class is kind of nutty though.  She’s funny and nice, but she’s one of those people who tend to talk to themselves aloud almost all the time.  It’s hard to explain how she acts, but it is pretty entertaining at times.  After these two classes that I have back-to-back, I have my last class, which is titled Music Cultures, at 1700 (5:00 pm).  It sounds like it’ll be a pretty cool class; we’ll be talking about the different styles of music of the countries we’ll encounter.  The weird thing is this sounded like it would be my easiest class, but after today it sounds like it may be the one with the most work to be done (especially while we’re in port), which kind of sucks.

One of the craziest things so far is how we’ve been on this ship for only 3 or 4 days, but it feels like we’ve been on here for weeks!  Maybe it’s just being with the same people every day or doing basically the same thing every day, but it feels like I’ve been on this ship for a lot longer than I have.  However, even in these few days, I have gotten so sick of the small talk introduction questions like, “Where are you from? What school do you go to?” and usually when I answer, “I’m from Colorado,” they respond with, “Oh, are you one of those Boulder kids?” because there are 57 students from the University of Colorado- Boulder on this voyage (which is just under 10% of the student population here).  The funny thing is that I have only really met two other students from CU who are on this voyage, so it’s not like everyone from Boulder knows each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment