Saturday, February 2, 2013

Day 1: 1/9 The Beginning of a New Chapter


As some of you may know I suck at this whole technology thing so my blog will most likely be lacking in content since I may not be able to access it very often.  If you are looking for updates on what I’m up to or whatever, and this blog that I have isn’t really doing it for you, then please email me because somehow I have that working even though it was a super complicated process.  Here’s an update on the first leg of the voyage.

Day 1: 1/9 The Beginning of a New Chapter

The first day of my trip was extremely bittersweet for me.  On the one hand I was about to embark on an amazing journey, but on the other hand I had to leave behind the people I care the most about in the world.  These next few months will be difficult without them by my side, but having email and being able to skype every once in a while will definitely help. 

We were all assigned times to be on a bus that would transport us from San Diego to Ensenada, Mexico.  From what I have heard around the ship we did this because the MV Explorer is a ship from the Bahamas, and it isn’t allowed to port in two different US ports consecutively, so it couldn’t have been in San Diego right before we went to Hilo, Hawaii.  Not sure how true that actually is but it’s the only explanation I have for those of you who were curious.  Anyway, my bus time was at 10:30 am which was nice because I didn’t have to wake up really early to catch the 7:00 bus and I didn’t have to wait around for the 12:00 bus.  But, as any day in which someone is leaving goes, this one slowly started becoming sad and real.  I mean that it became “real” in the sense that I had spent so much time preparing for this trip that the day that I left seemed so far away, but it creeps up on you and then all of a sudden it is right in front of your face about to smack you.  It was finally hitting me that I am about to leave on this trip for just about four months!  It was no longer a bunch of paperwork or planning or preparing.  It was actually here and became very real.  As I am saying my goodbyes to my parents and Keenan (the boyfriend), I can’t help but cry (I am my mother’s daughter).  I have never been more than 45 minutes away from my parents, and in the past semester I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Keenan almost every day.  Once again, it became real that I was not going to see them or really talk to them besides email for four months!  That’s an extremely long time for me and the people that I am saying goodbye to, so it will be one of the hardest things that I will have to deal with on this voyage.  I get on the bus and grab a seat.  As we are pulling away, I try to give my last waves goodbye to my little entourage; I’m not sure how successful I was but I gave it a shot anyway.  The drive down to Ensenada was actually kind of pretty because we took a scenic route that hugged the coast.  But for anyone who has ever really been in the car with me for any extended period of time, I got a little car sick so I probably didn’t enjoy the ride quite as much as everyone else.

We got to the port and I finally set my eyes on what was soon to be my home for the next four months.  It’s a beautiful ship, but it was almost comical how small it looked next to this cruise ship parked just a couple of spots over.  I went through security and walked across the little bridge to the entrance of the ship.  It was shocking to me what it looked like on the inside. I don’t exactly know why it was shocking because I’ve seen some pictures and taken a virtual tour of the ship, but it is somehow different in person.  I had to travel up numerous flights of stairs to get to the Union which is on the 6th deck to finish checking in, and then I was finally able to go check out my room.  On my way to my room, since my room is located at the very back of the boat (second to last room) on the 4th deck port (left) side, I ran into Jillian Nedved.  We ventured on to try to find my room, and when I got there it looked like my roommate had already been to the room but wasn’t there at the moment.  I dropped off my stuff, and for a brief moment my roommate came in and introduced herself, but then had to leave.  Her name is Shelley Shapasian and she is from Cleveland, Ohio and goes to Elmherst, a school near Chicago.  She’s a pretty awesome roommate, so I consider myself very lucky.  I then went to explore the ship with Jillian.

Here’s the basic layout of the ship.  On the 2nd deck there are the economy rooms and the “hospital” which is really more like a doctor’s office than a hospital; the 3rd and 4th decks are just rooms; the 5th deck has one of the two dining halls, Tymitz square which has the Purser’s Desk and Activities Desk and Field Office, and there are some rooms on this deck too; the 6th deck (from front to back) has the Union (which is basically like a lecture hall and they use it for large meetings and large classes and stuff that requires a lot of room for sitting), the computer lab and library, the store, numerous classrooms (I think there are nine total), a piano lounge and lots of tables and seats, and a dining hall that leads out to a sitting area outside; finally the 7th deck has the faculty/staff/life-long-learners lounge, rooms, the wellness center and weight area (the weight area is outside), and outside on the 7th deck there’s a little basketball court, snack bar, pool, and lounging area.  For a small ship it is still fairly big and confusing, so if you’re going to go on this trip someday just go and explore and get lost the first day. Slowly you will figure it out, but it is almost guaranteed that you’ll get lost and/or confused.

After some exploring, we were called to do a mandatory lifeboat drill.  We went back to our rooms to get our life vests and wait for further instructions.  This drill ended up taking like an hour or so to finish.  I’m sure it is important to know what to do just in case something does happen, but at the time this whole drill just seemed silly.  After the drill Shelley and I went back to our room and started unpacking.  While we were unpacking we saw the horizon moving out of our window; we were finally embarking from the port.  As exciting as it was, it was also one of those “real” moments.  We were actually doing it; we were leaving to go out to the sea.  It was a weird and somewhat frightening moment for me, but at the same time I was excited.  It was a similar feeling to how I felt in the weeks leading up to this trip.  When people asked me if I was excited for it, I wasn’t definite in my answer.  Yeah I was excited, but I was also very nervous.  The best comparison that I could come up with is the feeling you get right before you go on a rollercoaster.  When you’re standing there in line, you know it’s going to be fun, but for some reason you still get nervous and get butterflies in your stomach.  That’s how I felt for about a month leading up to this voyage.

For the first half hour or so I was completely fine, but, in the middle of unpacking, a sudden wave of nausea hit me like a ton of bricks.  Before my voyage I talked to a friend who went on it a previous semester, and she said that the ship rocked a lot more than a normal cruise ship since it is smaller.  I have never been on a cruise so I didn’t really know what to compare it to, but my mom went on one and said she didn’t get seasick at all and it was basically no biggie.  With all of this information I thought I would be fine and it wouldn’t be too bad.  Little did I know the first night on this ship would include some of the most nauseating feelings I have experienced in a long time.  I am pretty susceptible to motion sickness in cars though, so I don’t know why I thought it would be different on a ship.  Sorry, I don’t mean to scare off anyone who is reading this who will be on future Semester at Sea trips. For the record, many of the students and other people on the boat were completely fine and didn’t feel sick at all.  However, for the students that did get seasick it was not a very pleasant experience.  Walking was probably the hardest part because the boat moves so much that your body gets tossed around and it is difficult to walk straight.  The first few days walking down the hallway to my room (which is the second to last room at the very back of the boat) felt like walking around when you’re drunk (not that I know that feeling, mom).  The whole image of the long hallway was twisting and turning before my eyes which probably made me more nauseous.  Luckily, Jillian came to my room in the nick of time and we went to the 6th deck to get some fresh air which helped a little bit.  A little later I ran into Shelley who looked pale in the face, a face that was unmistakably seasickness.  All of us were feeling like complete crap and went to try to find the hospital which was a venture in itself since we were so flipped around and couldn’t find how to get there.  We finally got there and found some medication and then went back to the deck outside to try the fresh air thing again.  We were trying to hold out until this meeting that was supposed to happen at 2000 (yeah they use military time for everything which isn’t terrible for me because it’s the only math I get to do every day haha).  We found out that it wasn’t mandatory so we all rushed down to our rooms to lie down and fall asleep.  Lying down was the only time that I didn’t feel super nauseous.  The fact that I only got like 4 hours of sleep the night before, mixed with the rocking of the ship like a mother rocking a baby, made sleeping extremely easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment