Saturday, March 23, 2013

Day 22: 1/31 Beautiful Kyoto

                Today I went to Kyoto for the day with a friend.  Kyoto is home to many beautiful temples and shrines.  Although I didn’t get to see much due to the time constraint of only being there a day (since we had to be back at the ship by 6 pm), the temples that I did see were absolutely breathtaking.  I am amazed by older Asian architecture, so I was perfectly content with just looking at all of the buildings. 

                We took the train to Kyoto which was about an hour or so.  The Kyoto train station was enormous!  It was very modern looking and was about 11 or 12 levels high.  We grabbed some lunch at a restaurant that was on the 11th floor and planned out our day.  We first went to Kiyomizu Temple (I think that is what it is called) which was located at the top of this giant hill.  I felt like it took forever to get to the top, but luckily there were little shops along the way that occupied my attention.  As the slope of the hill started to level off, I was met by the vision of a collection of vibrant, red-orange accented buildings that would make your jaw drop in awe.  It was absolutely beautiful.  There were many people doing certain practices of their religion.  Some people would take these long stemmed looking spoons made out of bamboo and fill them with water and pour the water over their hands.  Other people would be praying and then would ring this giant gong, that was high above their heads, using an extremely thick rope.  It was really interesting and cool to watch the people who would come to these temples, not because it was a touristy spot, but rather because they were there for their own personal, spiritual reasons.  After exploring the grounds a bit we decided we should probably start to head to the next temple if we wanted to see some more before we had to leave.  We started walking down a different street where every open door was filled with knick-knacks, t-shirts, food, and everything in between.  My attention was constantly being grabbed by little things here and there, things that I wanted to buy for myself or for family and friends back home.  It took a good hour or so just to get down to the bottom of the hill.

                We then jumped on the bus and went to the next temple.  I think it was called the Gion Temple.  It, just like every other temple I have seen thus far, was stunning.  This temple was surrounded by a vast amount of grounds, and unfortunately I didn’t have as much time as I would have liked to explore each and every corner and crevice of the space.  We did get to walk around and just look at the gorgeous buildings and watch those who practice the religion pray in temples and shrines.  Being in the midst of all of these old buildings I completely forgot about the world of skyscrapers and metal buildings that awaited me outside of the grounds.  Being here made me think about what the world looked like back in the day when these buildings were newly built.  Were all of the buildings this gorgeous?  Why didn’t we keep this kind of architecture around in these places?  I wish I could have seen first-hand what the city of Kyoto looked like years and years ago.  After we finished walking around this temple we decided that there wasn’t enough time to go to any more temples which made me kind of sad because there were so many incredible temples in the area that I didn’t get to see.  Some people have the feeling that every temple looks so similar that once you see one you’ve pretty much seen them all; even though they do look very similar in architectural style, I feel like I could spend days looking at these buildings and not get tired of it.  We took the train back and made it on the ship with time to spare before getting dock time.  We left the port at 8:00 (like usual) and, just as we were greeted into Japan, we left with the same showcase of hospitality and kindness.  There was a small band playing songs with breaks in between where they would wave to all of us on the outside deck.  There were also a good amount of people there, some had signs telling us farewell, others were giant cutouts of hands and others used their arms to wave to us goodbye.  It was such an amazing act of kindness in my book.  There were so many people in Japan who went out of their way to help us or make us feel welcome in their country; it was a very cool thing to see that something like that exists in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment