Saturday, March 23, 2013

Day 19: 1/28 Tokyo in a Day

                Today was one of the busiest and most hectic days I have had on the voyage thus far.  We started our day semi early in order to try to get a jump start on our sightseeing adventures in Tokyo.  Jillian and I were supposed to meet up with Shelley somehow in Tokyo, but we had absolutely no way to communicate with her so we gave up on that plan.  We met up with Kyle, Sawyer, and Alexa and ventured to the nearby train station.  The train station was insane.  There were a ton of people walking every which way, some even jogging or running, and then there was us, a group of confused, and slightly scared Americans (at least I was confused and slightly scared).  The train system is pretty simple, but when everything is written in a foreign language it becomes 100 times more complicated.  What you have to do is figure out which stop you want to get off and that stop is associated with a certain price; the farther you go from the station you are currently at, the more it costs… simple right?  Well, for some reason, it wasn’t as simple as it should have been for us all day.

                We luckily got on a train that went straight to Shibuya without even knowing it (Shibuya is a section of Tokyo).  Surprisingly, Tokyo is a lot bigger than I expected.  We went and saw Shibuya crossing which is supposedly the biggest, busiest crossing in the world with about 3.2 million people crossing every day.  When we went, it wasn’t nearly as busy as I think it usually is.  I’m not sure why that was the case, but it was still pretty busy.  After walking around a little bit we got back on the train and went towards Tokyo tower. 

After some confusion on how to get to the tower by train, we finally made it to our stop.  The tower was only a short walk from the train station, but we could see the tower so there was no need for a map.  The tower looked like a red version of the Eiffel Tower.  On the way to the tower we passed some temples and shrines that were really pretty.  I actually found the temples to be cooler looking than the tower.  We didn’t go up in the tower even though after I got back on the ship I heard it was an awesome view.  We were planning to go to the Imperial Palace, but ended up just going back to Yokohama for dinner.

We went to a conveyer belt sushi restaurant which was awesome!  The only problem was I didn’t really know what I was grabbing off the conveyer belt.  There was a menu that had most of the sushi that was going around, but by the time I figured out what the dish was it was way past where I was sitting.  Most of the stuff I pulled off was delicious like the salmon things, the tuna rolls, and whatever else I got, but there was one dish that I took that still makes me gag just thinking about it.  It was some sort of shrimp and rice roll with fish eggs on top.  I’ve had rolls similar to this before, so I thought this wouldn’t be bad.  Boy was I wrong.  I can’t even describe the taste, but as soon as it hit my tongue I wanted to spit it out and scrape my tongue of the sick, nasty taste that overwhelmed my taste buds.  After dinner, we went next door to “Hawaiian Town”… yes there was a Hawaiian town in Japan… to get these donut-like things for dessert, which were delicious if you were wondering.

We then tried to make our way to wherever the bullet train (which is better known, actually only known, as the shinkansen in Japan) picked up.  When we finally got to the station that the shinkansen went through, we had no clue where to go to get to it.  We probably looked like lost, helpless puppy dogs because we were approached by a young Japanese woman who asked if we needed help.  We told her we were trying to find the bullet train, and of course she was confused because they don’t call it by that name.  After we all got on the same page, she didn’t just tell us how to get to the station, but she took us down, up, through, and around the station to where we buy tickets for the train.  On top of that, she then stayed with us to help us buy the correct tickets and translate what the ticket guy was saying.  It was one of the kindest things I have ever seen anyone do for lost foreigners, but apparently cases like this happen more frequently than you’d expect in Japan.  The people there are incredibly kind!  We got on the shinkansen and settled in for about a three hour ride to Kobe.  The shinkansen was a pretty nice train, but the section we were in had a lot of people, which led to an interesting aroma.  It wasn’t necessarily a smell that wasn’t manageable to be around, but it definitely wasn’t a pleasant smell.  While on the train, I was extremely hungry and there was a food cart that came around but I didn’t know what anything was so I didn’t chance it.  The best part was I felt like I was on the Asian version of the Hogwarts Express; I mean it wasn’t nearly as cool as the Hogwarts train, but something about it reminded me of that.

In Yokohama and Tokyo, there were a fair number of English speakers, but that percentage decreased as we got into Kobe.  It seemed like there wasn’t nearly as much English around which didn’t help with our poor navigation with the train system.  Once we got into the Kobe area, we had to take another train to get to the hotel.  We, again, had difficulties figuring out which train to get on and what stop we were supposed to get off to get close to the hotel.  We asked many different people and received different answers from almost every person.  We got on a train, got off at the wrong stop, got on another train, and almost got off at the wrong stop again before we got to the right stop.  Then, on top of everything else, we had no clue where the hotel was and couldn’t find anyone who knew where the hotel was or could understand what we were asking.  After a good amount of struggle, we finally found it about two or three blocks away from the train station.

Kyle and Sawyer already had a reservation at this hotel, so Jillian and I thought we’d just ask if they had any open rooms that we could use.  The man at the front desk didn’t know much English, so communicating was kind of difficult.  He had an open room, so Jillian and I felt a load of relief that we didn’t have to go out and search for a place to stay.  We went up the elevator to the ninth floor.  The doors opened and we get bombarded with a gust of nasty, smoky air.  We walked to the end of the hall to our room which was just as bad.  We went back down to the front desk to ask for a non-smoking room, but unfortunately they said they were all booked.  That was one thing that I didn’t even think about since it doesn’t happen back home anymore, but smoking in public facilities is still legal in Japan.  Even restaurants allowed smoking; most had smoking “sections” but, no matter what, the smoke filled the air.  We went back to the room and started to settle in a bit.  There was a big king size bed that was much lower to the ground than I’m used to.  Then we looked inside of the bathroom door (which looked eerily like the bathroom in our rooms on the ship).  It was extremely small with a toilet that had a remote-like attachment with a bunch of buttons with pictures (some pictures I couldn’t even guess what they were depicting and others were not something I wanted to be done to me) and a shower that had the tallest tub that I’ve ever seen (it probably came up to my hip, which might not be saying too much seeing that I’m such a shorty but it was much taller than what I consider to be usual).  Then, when we went to bed, I was so exhausted and the bed looked so inviting and the pillow looked so fluffy that I just belly flopped onto the bed which ended up being a terrible idea.  The pillow was like the killer bunny from Monty Python and the Holy Grail; even though it looked inviting with all of its fluffiness, the inside was like a sack of rocks (I think it was actually a sack of beans, but either way it was not pleasant).  It’s a good thing I can pretty much sleep no matter what the conditions are and that I was exhausted, otherwise it would have been a rough night.

No comments:

Post a Comment